We are over the moon to have been awarded funding from the UKRI and UKSFN to launch a new immersive sci/art project with young people aged 11-14 in South East London. How, you ask? The SMASHfestUK way of course!
We will take over two venues here in the South East London (galactic) System during October half-term to bring an immersive and out-of-this world experience to the young people from the local planets … but we need your help!
This adventure can’t take place without talented astro-commanders to help the younger travellers during their journey.
Who are these astro-commanders, you ask? Astronomers, Cosmologists, Physicists, Space Engineers, Astrobiologists and anyone working within the space field!
What would astro-commanders do?
- Collaborate with a group of local young people and artists to create a challenging activity based on their work and/or research in the period prior to the event.
- Help lead a group of young people through the challenges of space travel during the two immersive events.
- Commit to 5 days in total (expenses paid by prior agreement) between September (2 half days, 23rd and 26th of September) and October (1 half-day TBD for training, 2 full days – 25th and 28th of October). Exact days to be defined soon. Time commitment can be discussed, so please don’t hesitate to contact me if you are interested.
What will the astro-commanders get from the project?
- Each commander will participate in a bespoke training session from the SMASHfestUK team covering public engagement, communication skills, community engagement and storytelling for scientists.
- A platform to discuss their work and/or research with young people from South East London within an informal setting.
- The opportunity to develop an engagement activity based on their work and/or research with close support from the award-winning SMASHfestUK team!
Who would be the perfect astro-commander?
- Based in or can easily travel to London/Greater London (expenses paid by prior agreement).
- Interested in the Arts, STEM and Cultural Engagement.
- Willing to engage the young people involved with the storyline created (might include: making top-notch space noises, wearing an astro-fascinator, using space-related puns and more… Training will be provided if this is outside your comfort zone!).
- Able to commit to 5 days between September and the end of October (3 half days in September/Early October, 2 full days in October w/c 22nd) – all expenses paid by prior agreement.
- Happy to work with others as part of a team.
Want to know more or want to join the mission?
Contact the Mission Producer, Paolo, on email@example.com with subject “Astro-commander”.