We are over the moon to have been awarded funding from the UKRI and UKSFN to launch a new immersive sci/art project with young people aged 11-14 in South East London. How, you ask? The SMASHfestUK way of course!
We will take over two venues here in the South East London (galactic) System during October half-term to bring an immersive and out-of-this world experience to the young people from the local planets … but we need your help!
This adventure can’t take place without talented astro-commanders to help the younger travellers during their journey.
Who are these astro-commanders, you ask? Astronomers, Cosmologists, Physicists, Space Engineers, Astrobiologists and anyone working within the space field!
What would astro-commanders do?
- Collaborate with a group of local young people and artists to create a challenging activity based on their work and/or research in the period prior to the event.
- Help lead a group of young people through the challenges of space travel during the two immersive events.
- Commit to 5 days in total (expenses paid by prior agreement) between September (3 half days, 2 likely to be 11th, 18th or 25th of September 1 TBD for the training session) and October (2 full days - likely to be 23rd and 25th of October). Exact days to be defined soon. Time commitment can be discussed, so please don't hesitate to contact me if you are interested
- Each commander will participate in a bespoke training session from the SMASHfestUK team covering public engagement, communication skills, community engagement and storytelling for scientists.
- A platform to discuss their work and/or research with young people from South East London within an informal setting.
- The opportunity to develop an engagement activity based on their work and/or research with close support from the award-winning SMASHfestUK team!
- Based in or can easily travel to London/Greater London (expenses paid by prior agreement).
- Interested in the Arts, STEM and Cultural Engagement.
- Willing to engage the young people involved with the storyline created (might include: making top-notch space noises, wearing an astro-fascinator, using space-related puns and more… Training will be provided if this is outside your comfort zone!).
- Able to commit to 5 days between September and the end of October (3 half days in September TBC, 2 full days in October w/c 22nd).
- Happy to work with others as part of a team.