In South Wales? Are you free on Sat 2 Sept and want to be part of an inspiring community festival?
SMASHfestUK is an interactive festival for all the family. Always in the heart of the community, our aim is to increase diversity and widen participation in STEM (Science, Tech, Engineering, Maths) through the Arts. Each year we focus on a different natural disaster, exploring how to survive and rebuild society afterwards. As part of our Earth & Sky tour, this year's story is ‘Supervolcano’ combined with our previous theme ‘Asteroid'. We explore: ”How can we rebuild life after a disaster? What if we had to leave Earth?" featuring art installations, games, messy experiments and a ‘Survival Village-Space Camp’ - with real scientists & engineers. And we’ll be building excitement for Swansea Sci Fest!
We’re recruiting for two different positions; Event Volunteers and local Scientists and Engineers. Ideally from the local area, you’ll be free on:
- Sat 2nd Sept, Orchard Rd, Neath, SA11 1DT. 10.30 - 5pm
Expenses and lunch will be paid for, and we may have some budget to cover a bit further if you can't do it voluntarily. To give you an idea of our events, do take a look at the photos here from our previous festivals!
We’re looking for friendly volunteers, ideally from the Neath area, for our mini-festival on Neath's shopping streets. To volunteer with us, you DON'T need to know lots about science or arts to get involved - just a positive attitude and enjoy working with a broad range of the public!
- - Help the public get involved with our installations and experiments
- - Guide visitors with info about our activities
- - Help with festival set up and take down
As SMASHfestUK is a real mash-up of activities, you’ll develop essential team work, public engagement and event production skills, and have tonnes of FUN!
If you’re interested or have any questions, drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘NEATH VOLUNTEERING’. Please explain a little bit about you, why you’d like to get involved and your availability. Start time will be 10.30am, but we're flexible if you can only volunteer a half day, as long as you can make the 10.30am briefing. Travel expenses and lunch will be reimbursed. We hope to hear from you soon!
Scientists & Engineers
Are you an engineer, space scientist or volcanologist based in South Wales and would like to run a hands-on activity at SMASHfestUK - an interactive STEM festival in Neath? Develop your public engagement skills in the heart of the Neath community, supported by the RAE Ingenious programme.
You could get involved with an activity in…
- The Survival Village. You could explore, for example: sanitation, water supply and filtration, shelter, energy (e.g. fuel briquette creation, rocket stoves, wind turbines, etc.).
- The Space Camp. You could look at, for example: communications, satellite engineering, aeronautics, asteroid mining, space habitat design, terraforming, astrobiology…
We’re happy for you to develop your own idea for an activity, or feed you one with extra support.
What will I gain?
- 1 day of public engagement
- Support in the development of activities
- Feeding of ideas if required
- Looks great on your CV
- Looks great to employers
- Builds confidence in working with the public
- Giving something back to the community and inspiring those from underrepresented audiences - 'engineering is for everyone!’
- Promote science and engineering at your university/organisation (we can give away your marketing materials)