In Gloucestershire? Are you free on Sat 28th Oct and want to be part of an inspiring community festival?
SMASHfestUK is an interactive festival for all the family. Always in the heart of the community, our aim is to increase diversity and widen participation in STEM (Science, Tech, Engineering, Maths) through the Arts. Each year we focus on a different natural disaster, exploring how to survive and rebuild society afterwards. Our 'Earth and Sky Tour' combines our 2017 ‘Supervolcano’ and our 2015 ‘Asteroid' theme and explores the questions "How can we rebuild life after a disaster? What if we had to leave Earth?" The festival features art installations, live performance, messy experiments and a ‘Survival Village-Space Camp’ - with real scientists & engineers!
We’re recruiting for two different positions; Event Volunteers and local Scientists and Engineers. Ideally from the local area, you’ll be free on:
- Sat 28th Oct, Glocester Library, Brunswick Road, Gloucester, GL1 1HT.
Expenses for lunch and travel are provided along with a free t-shirt. You can check out photos from our previous festivals here!
We’re looking for friendly volunteers, ideally from the Gloucester area or those passionate about community events, science or both. To volunteer with us, you DON'T need to know lots about science or arts - just a positive attitude and enjoy meeting new people!
- Help the public get involved with our installations and experiments
- Guide visitors with info about our activities
- Help with festival set up and take down
As SMASHfestUK is a real mash-up of activities, you’ll develop essential team work, public engagement and event production skills, and have tonnes of FUN!
If you’re interested or have any questions, drop us an email to email@example.com with the subject line ‘GLOUCESTER VOLUNTEERING’. Please explain a little bit about you, why you’d like to get involved and your availability. Start time will be 09.30am, but we're flexible if you can only volunteer a half day. We hope to hear from you soon!
Scientists & Engineers
Are you an engineer, space scientist or volcanologist based in Gloucestershire and would like to run a hands-on activity at SMASHfestUK - an interactive STEM festival? Develop your public engagement skills in the heart of the Gloucester community, supported by the RAE Ingenious programme and the UK Space Agency.
We're recruiting local scientists & engineers to help run hands-on activities in...
- The Survival Village. Exploring ideas about sanitation, water supply and filtration, shelter, energy (e.g. fuel briquette creation, rocket stoves, wind turbines, etc.).
- The Space Camp. It could be: communications, satellite engineering, aeronautics, asteroid mining, space habitat design, terraforming, astrobiology...
Expenses and lunch will be paid for, and we may have some budget to cover a bit further if you can't do it voluntarily. Start time will be 9 am, but we're flexible if you can only come for a half day.
You will gain:
- 1 day of public engagement
- Support in the development of activities
- Feeding of ideas if required
- Looks great on your CV
- Looks great to employers
- Builds confidence in working with the public
- Giving something back to the community and inspiring those from underrepresented audiences - 'engineering is for everyone!’
- Promote science and engineering at your university/organisation (we can give away your marketing materials)